Maintaining Work-Life Balance in this modern world
The term work-life balance is used to refer to a state of good equilibrium between time spent at work and away from it. The younger generation is especially besotted by this concept as they have seen the hectic and overworked lives of their guardians and parents. Modern technology has come a long way to help the new generation of workers to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
A good work-life balance means that one needs to give preference to a healthy lifestyle as opposed to work so as to be able to give both life and work the best that one can offer. Opting for breaks, efficient resourcing of time, and setting margins, etc. are some of the things that you can employ to get that equilibrium between work and life.
A good work-life balance comes with many advantages such as better productivity, decreased stress on loved ones, better mental and physical health, and more time to engage in leisure and hobbies.
Discussed below are some ways to maintain a healthy work-life balance in this modern technological era.
- Plan in Advance: Planning is one of the basic steps to be able to achieve proper time management. Each one of us likes different forms of planning. Some like a ‘to-do list’ while others may like schedulers that offer time management on workdays according to each hour. However, what you need to remember is the fact that whatever method you prefer, making plans in advance can not only help you stay well-organized but can also save time.
- Use the new technology: One of the main reasons for the imbalance between work and life is advanced technology. For example, your boss can contact you anytime he/she wants and thus eat into your free time. It may, however, be noted that modern technology also provides many solutions to the problems of work-life in-equilibrium.
- You may install different apps to restructure and simplify varied workflows, optimize different gadgets, find ways to increase productivity, and block different distractions, etc. These options can assist in helping attain the goals of work-life balance. A few good apps include Timely, PomoDoneAppp, Asana, Stretchy, ToDoIst, RescueTime, Unhook, Headspace, and Aura.
- Recharge mentally by taking regular breaks: Taking small breaks at work and home can help recharge and refresh the mind. You can go for a 10-minute walk, step out into nature to decrease stress, take a coffee break with co-workers instead of drinking coffee at your work-desk, and take vacations, etc.
- Time management: It is important to efficiently manage time both at work and at home. This will not only help enhance productivity at the office, but will also prevent the overflow of work and other work chores into your time at home. Once you have taken care of time management at work, you also need to organize and schedule time for personal chores such as preparing meals, doing laundry, fixing things, and other responsibilities. This will help ensure that your weekends are free for you to engage in pleasure, partying, and other leisurely activities.